I had the opportunity to attend an event sponsored by the Sustainable Business Council of Los Angeles. It was at the home of Steve Glenn in Santa Monica. His above-pictured home was fully assembled in eight hours. Steve is the CEO of Plant Prefab and the founder of www.LivingHomes.net. Living Homes is a designer and developer of modern, prefabricated homes that combine world-class architecture and a commitment to sustainable construction.
As I toured the home at the event I was amazed at all the details and intricacies that went into the design of this home that I would never have thought was assembled in pieces. Which brings me back to my favorite topics around creativity and curiosity. As I walked through the home, my senses were heightened as I became more and more curious about how it all came together. I gained a new appreciation for the creative partnerships that made this design and project possible. The fact that it was assembled in eight hours proved that creativity is boundless. It reminded me once again to be this curious about everything. Curiosity is a skill that can be developed and can lead to many great opportunities in your business and your life. Curiosity is the fuel for your creativity and can spark innovative ideas. Albert Einstein once said, “I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.” As I often tell my clients, curiosity is part of the desire to find solutions.
Here are a few things to remember to Stay Curious!
- Pay attention. Think of everything as a new adventure. Be willing to look closer and deeper. Listen and observe life mindfully.
- Become a master at asking good questions. People often are afraid to ask things and remain silent when only to find out it was their question that needed to be answered.
- Be a voracious reader and researcher of diverse topics. Be willing to learn from your passions but also from things outside of your comfort zone. Clients often look too closely within their own industry when often the answer lies somewhere else. It’s all about “connecting the dots.”
- Be aware of making assumptions. Expect the unexpected and more importantly, look for it. Harness the mindset that creates positive energy and openness to new ideas.
- Have fun and cultivate your curiosity every day! Do something different today. It can be something as simple as driving to work a different way. You never know what you will discover.
Make curiosity a way of life that can positively impact your business, your happiness, your success and your relationships. Wishing you a delightfully curious day!